Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Recent Trade Thoughts

I usually enter into new investments when the market is down and investors are fearful. For the last couple of weeks those times have been rare. I'm a patient person and I've learned to let the market come to me. There are some traders who I respect greatly, i.e., Bill Cara, who are bullish on the markets.

So why did I enter some trades when the market has been bullish? I didn't want to have the train leave the station with me standing on the platform. In any event, I only entered into some conservative out of the money put plays on stocks I would love to own. These were Coca-Cola, Proctor & Gamble and Johnson & Johnson. If put to me the yield on cost would be well above average. In addition, some of these are set to raise their dividends. I also entered into a covered call transaction on Conoco-Phillips. I like this one as they are going to spin off shares and are set to raise the dividend. It also diversifies us into oil and gas.

I've also been trading the precious metals which bottomed a couple of weeks ago. Now that they are back in their bullish trend I'm losing a bit of interest going forward. I'm looking for dips preferably large ones where folks are talking about precious metals cratering.

I think that GOOG may be providing a good opportunity for out of the money put writing, especially 30 or 40 points below where it's trading right now. I probably won't participate, however, as it violates my rule of only trading something I really want to own.

Other than these trades I think it's time to wait for a correction. Obvious opportunities should appear. I've got a ton of cash and margin to work with. With my recent trades I just took a little nibble in case we are off to new highs.

1 comment: