Monday, March 19, 2012

New Trade: GDX Naked Puts

This morning in a taxable account I entered into the following trade:

03/19/2012   STO 3 GDX Jun 16 2012 45 Puts@.99               284.71

If these puts expire worthless we will earn a 15.5% return on margin maintenance of $1835.11 in 89 days. This equates to 63.56% annual. GDX is at it's support level of $50/share. These puts are written 10% below that. When there is a strong market without fear these shares have suffered. This trade is based upon the belief that: 1) the market is toppy; 2) precious metals are still in a bull market due to fundamentals and, therefore, buying on the dips is warranted; and 3) support levels have held up well. In the event I'm wrong, I have an exit strategy in place as GDX is a strong candidate to roll down and out for a net credit.

6 comments:

  1. I'm amused that we seem to do very similar trades, though I tend to go for longer term, further out of the money strike prices that I then tend to hold more of the way to option expiry.

    Today I opened the following naked GDX position:

    3/27/2012 STO 65 GDX Jan 2013 40 Puts@1.78

    ReplyDelete
  2. not to mention you're selling a lot more contracts than me :)

    I'm intrigued. Please keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Otoh, I can't claim to be 32/32 on my trades :-)

    I stumbled across your blog when for some reason I was contemplating my PEP options.

    On 3/1/12 I wrote:

    STO 90 PEP 13JAN19 P 57.50 / PepsiCo Inc. @ 2.53

    which I am still short....

    I'll drop in to commiserate when the market tanks this summer :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'm 32/32 for being a day early or a day late to a much better trade. Well, can't beat myself up too badly it usually works out in the end (if you delete my FMD and WAMU covered calls, for a lesson on living life without using stops).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anon, what's your take on the miner action lately? Chester

    ReplyDelete