Tuesday, August 14, 2012

New Trade: McDonald's (MCD) Naked Puts

Yesterday with the market down a bit and MCD trading at 87.90 I entered into the following transaction:

08/13/12   STO 2 MCD Sep 22 2012 85 Puts @.72    132.50

McDonald's is a Dividend Aristocrat/Champion/Achiever that really needs no introduction. There has been a bit of weakness in the stock as of late due to July same store sales declining a miniscule percentage. I almost pulled the trigger on the 82.5's a few days ago when MCD was at 86.10 but decided against it because I thought the market and the stock still had room to drop. Opportunity missed.

This trade at the 85's is still pretty good as 85 is a strong support line for MCD. If the stock drops I will roll out and/or down for a net credit. As such, an exit strategy is in place.

If put to us our yield on cost will be ~3.3% and MCD is set to raise it's dividend in November. This dividend rise should buoy the stock. If these puts expire worthless we will earn 4.3% on margin maintenance of $3078.25 in 40 days which equates to 39.23% annual return on maintenance.

I didn't see any fat pitches to swing at so I entered into this one trade to take advantage of time decay in what I see as a fairly safe play.

1 comment: